rss
email
twitter
facebook

June 16, 2010

Answered Questions I – Watches and iPhones

Wristwatches are something that I am very curious about. As a concept, not themselves. I'm not a big user of watches, nor collect them either. In fact, for years I have been using promotion watches until they have fallen apart and have even been without any for long periods. Of course, when I see someone with a beautiful and elegant watch, it takes my attention and I like to congratulate him or her on good taste.

Image: Foto Gratis

Well as I said, what attracts me is the concept of the watch itself: at a time, this was one of the most complex pieces of technology in the hands of the general public and has gone through different stages of evolution: string, automatic, batteries, atomic, digital, submersibles, with a calculator and stopwatch, or a real jewelry inlaid in a mechanism that tells the time.

Like a pair of glasses, it was a sophisticated device that served a purpose and over time has acquired an aesthetic and social status, to become almost a fashion accessory. But unlike glasses, it has lost all its usefulness. Today, with a simple phone, or in front of a computer, the time is practically available to everyone. But people keep wearing them, some in pairs, and are still pieces of design and social relevance. A good watch stands out the same as an iPhone.

Is the watch close to see the end of his days? Perhaps, but what is clear is that we find it hard to abandon certain habits. I will not talk about its future, though, but something far more banal.

Have you ever wondered why we always tends to wear the watch on one wrist, and not the other? The right, or perhaps the left? On what basis people choose? I guess again is a matter of habit: Whether the person is left or right handed, whether he or she belongs to a particular sect or intended to show any ideological secret code... who knows. «What a nonsense» you may think.

The thing is that I once wondered.

I wear it on my right wrist (when I wear one), and I have my reasons. I'm right-handed, and originally had it on the left, as most of us do (the end of the day what did it matter?).

One day I had surgery on my left hand, a minor operation, however, it left an ugly scar on the back of the hand. It still hurts from time to time. The point is that often the watch adjustment knob painfully nailed me on the scar when turning the wrist. For a while I continued with this discomfort, and the stubbornness that gave me a lifelong habit. Until one day I made the big question, and I was surprised by the response to what was my conclusion: That the watches have inherited an ergonomic design thought for right-handed.

The watch knob, included to wind it up at first, which was very often needed, had to be oriented towards the hand, so turning the wrist, it was more accessible for the right hand to wind. You can not do the same if you change the clock to the other arm (and you still want to read it upside down). But today is purposeless since we just use the button to set the time or calendar at most, so in that position, it is nothing but annoying, especially in my case. Why dragging this hassle, except for the habit?

Just wanted to show that we often do things on inertia not even considering why, and although it is not wrong to do it, from time to time, it is worth thinking about whether this way of doing things is the one we should keep. Well, these are irrelevant matters. The important thing is, why is Apple taking so long to launch a touch wrist watch that will add to the iPhone?

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment

 
Licencia de Creative Commons
Phototraps by Iván Cosos J.N.S.P.S. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.