rss
email
twitter
facebook

September 20, 2010

The World Theatre IX – Headless dog

When technology surprises us, something within us is shaking. I do not mean intellectual surprise when, after all, scientific speculation and science fiction allow us to imagine possible futures, but something more primal, more animal. It's as if our minds had certain atavisms that go beyond our present culture.

This is what happened to me with the headless dog.

Some time ago I was truly amazed to see a video of a product from the U.S. company called Boston Dynamics (http://www.bostondynamics.com/). Robotics and biomechanics experts who are creating prototypes of robots that can navigate different terrains with payloads. Forget the humanoid that salutes with its hand, or even plays the violin. The effect was stunning. I had a dog without its head before me, powered with distressing organic movements (more distressing still if we add the audio to the film). Helplessly, I doubted whether it was a hoax, some images composition or alike, and sought the head of the poor animal everywhere.

It's funny when something like an organic movement, when not associated with the living being we expect, creates such a paradox. Frankly, I do not know why something like this has not had much more resonance because it is bound to affect our collective unconscious. Here is the video for you to enjoy and check if you get surprised as well.



I also leave a humorous video, with which I was laughing for a time. Enough said. It is up to you to discover. Just note that humor helps us to assimilate culturally conceptual shocks that our society encounters, proof of what I have been saying about the headless dog.

0 comentarios:

Post a Comment

 
Licencia de Creative Commons
Phototraps by Iván Cosos J.N.S.P.S. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.